App crashes are annoying and we work really hard to do what we can to avoid them happening in FormsFly. But every app crashes sometimes so it’s important to understand a little but about why and what to do if it happens to you. Most of this advice applies as much to other apps on your device as it does to FormsFly.
Why is the App Crashing?
Apps crash for lots of reasons. Memory issues (maybe caused by another app “hogging memory” etc) are a common factor. Switching between signals can also sometimes cause issues (eg moving between WiFi and 4G just at a crucial point in comms). A corruption in the installed app could be a cause too.
Running an old version of the app, or an old version of the operating system, can additionally cause things to go wrong.
Also, smart devices don’t last forever or could just have hardware issues – this even applies even with newer devices. With this in mind we have a guide regarding device age here
It could even be a combination of factors – there are many components involved in the process.
My App Crashed – What Can I Try?
You can attempt the following actions and checks, in the order shown, before seeking support.
If there are pending uploads or data still on forms waiting to sync, then under no circumstances should the FormsFly app be uninstalled. If the FormsFly app is uninstalled and reinstalled then all data will be lost. There is nothing we can do to recover this after a reinstall.
- Make sure the device power is sufficient – ideally plug it into a power source.
- Confirm that the phone is connected to a good reliable data connection, either mobile data or Wi-Fi.
- Check that the device’s Operating System (Android, iOS) has been updated to the latest possible version.
- Check that the FormsFly app has been updated to the latest possible version.
- Make sure you have the correct login credentials for the app.
- Reboot your device.
- Open the FormsFly app.
- Check your data connection again.
- Login to the app.
- Go to settings (the cog icon).
- Sync the app.
If the issue persists after those actions then it my be necessary to reinstall the app but please note once again that this will cause any unsynchronised data to be lost. If in doubt, contact us before doing this.
If the FormsFly app is crashing on your device, then get in touch and we will do our best to advise. We will need to know a few things.
- When does the app crash for you?
- Is it Just when the app is opened?
- Or while using a form?
- What happens when the app is opened and after it crashes?
- Does is work okay then?
We cannot see your device directly, so it also helps a lot if you can supply us with a crash report. The instructions for this can be found here (for Android devices):